SNHS supports free tax filing services
To help local working individuals and families attain financial stability, Southern New Hampshire Services-supported efforts are offering free income tax preparation in Hillsborough and Rockingham Counties this tax season to those with low-to-moderate incomes.
Southern New Hampshire Services works with a number of local coalitions in the coordination of sites available in their areas, including the Asset Building Coalition in Nashua and the Cash Coalition of Southeastern New Hampshire.
To receive free tax filing assistance, it is recommended that the total income per return cannot exceed $50,000 for tax year 2011, and must not include more than $3,150 in investment income.
Current listings of available free tax preparation sites are also available on-line. Use the following links to access this information from either the NH 2-1-1 database or the IRS database of free tax preparation sites.
Volunteers file the returns electronically, which facilitates direct deposit of refunds into taxpayers’ bank accounts, usually within 10 days. To file taxes electronically on a Married Filing Jointly tax return, both spouses must be present to sign the required forms.
Many sites have multilingual volunteers who can assist people with limited English skills.
To locate the nearest site by phone, taxpayers can call 2-1-1 in New Hampshire or the IRS at 800-906-9887 for VITA site locations and 1-888-227-7669 for AARP Tax Aide site information.
- Earned Income Tax Credit: Do I Qualify?
- The EITC (Earned Income Tax Credit) can put money in your pocket!
- How to choose a professional tax preparer
- What to bring when you have your taxes prepared at a free preparation site
- Six tips on a Tax Credit for Retirement Savings
- Ten things to know about the child and dependent care credit
- IRS Multilingual Gateway offers online help in other languages