The incumbent of this position performs a wide variety of duties and responsibilities in a manner that places emphasis on quality of care and customer service. The Clinic Nutritionist completes the certification of WIC applicants by completing health assessments, providing nutrition counseling and educational services to WIC participants, providing referrals when appropriate, as well as other nutrition education related tasks. The incumbent must work as part of a team in collaboration with all WIC staff in support of participant services, with the goal of fostering an environment which promotes comfort and trust.
Nutritionist works under the direct supervision of the Nutrition Coordinator and general supervision of the WIC Director.
• BS degree with major emphasis in foods and nutrition and work experience in nutrition related field.
• Must be knowledgeable about current topics in the nutrition field and be willing to seek and attend professional workshops, sessions, etc.
• Ability to relate to and communicate effectively with individuals who have limited financial resources, in order to build a trusting relationship focused around respect.
• The ability to work with flexibly (7-3, 8:30-4:30 & 11-7) to changing situations, cooperatively and productively as part of a multidisciplinary team.
• Must be able to lift up to 40 lbs.
• Valid Driver’s License required and Car Insurance.
• Reliable transportation is necessity.
• Spanish speaking preferred, but not required.
• Experience in clinic and counseling areas is desirable.
• Works with Nutrition Coordinator to develop counseling skills.
• Completes nutrition assessments, determines participant eligibility, and assigns priority based on the medical information obtained at the health screening.
• Provides nutrition counseling to pregnant, postpartum and breastfeeding women, Infants and children participating in the WIC program in accordance with federal and state guidelines and policies and procedures.
• Completes and maintains required nutrition education documentation in the participant record for each client visit.
• Provides second nutrition education contacts to high risk WIC participants as well as following up for further counseling according to federal and state policies and procedures.
• Follows proper procedures for obtaining anthropometrical and hematological data.
• Provides appropriate nutrition counseling, referrals to other social service programs, and proper follow up for the participant.
• May assist with developing and implementing nutrition education displays and demonstrations to be available at all permanent and mobile clinic sites.
• Assist with implementation of special projects such as breastfeeding promotion, immunization screening, and lead screening goals and objectives.
• Assist with issuing Electronic WIC Benefits and providing education on the appropriate use of Card.
• Assist with general clerical duties including filing, preparing charts for clinics, reminder phone calls, and following up with clients who fail to show for their scheduled appointments.
• Responds to unscheduled walk-in clients and telephone requests for information about the WIC and/or any of the nutrition program services.
• Develops and maintains knowledge and working understanding of the Starlinc system and equipment as required by the state.
• Required to attend staff meetings and other educational training and conferences for professional development.
• Maintain knowledge of federal, state and agency policies and procedures and current nutrition developments.
• Communicate effectively with the Nutrition Coordinator.
• Expected to lift boxes weighing up to 35 lbs. containing medical or office supplies going to clinics or CSFP packages at distributions.
• Must comply with flexible working hours.
• Performs all other duties as assigned.
• Will maintain professional boundaries with all current, past and prospective clients, and maintain the confidentiality of clients and staff, in accordance with SNHS policy and procedure
• Abide by all SNHS Safety policies and procedures
• Present professional and positive image as a representative of SNHS
• Responsible for having adequate knowledge of all SNHS programs and will gather sufficient intake information to make referrals to other SNHS or Programs which are beneficial to the client and his/her family.
Southern New Hampshire Services is an Equal Opportunity Employer