The incumbent in this position is responsible to provide the planning, implementation, and evaluation of curriculum and related activities as an Evening Level 1 Instructor in the ESOL classroom.
Works under the direct supervision of the Portsmouth Adult Education Program Coordinator and the general supervision of the Planning and Grants Management Director.
- BA/BS in Education or related field.
- One (1) or more years experience working with foreign-born adults, preferably in an adult learning setting.
- Knowledge of and experience with technology applications for classroom instruction.
- Familiarity with assessment tools (CASAS, TABE, Accuplacer, etc.) preferred.
- In coordination with Portsmouth Adult Education staff, plan and implement general curriculum for daily instruction in the classroom setting, utilizing individual, small and large group settings.
- Prepare educational plans utilizing best practices in the context of developing necessary life skills, based upon each learner's skills, interests and goals, as related to the areas of family, work and community.
- Conduct, as needed, diagnostic tests and assessments to determine learner's skills and abilities, in conjunction with program counselor. Assist, guide, and review goal setting with adult learners. Maintain appropriate records in each learner’s file.
- Provided appropriate, real-life materials and activities for each learner's daily learning and practice, including appropriate remediation and compensation for learners with learning challenges.
- Create a comfortable, supportive, class atmosphere. Establish supportive, encouraging relationships and model respectful, learning behaviors for all learners.
- Keep daily attendance records. Report to program counselor when learners are absent consecutively two (2) days and assist with making personal contact with learner(s).
- Make appropriate referrals to program counselor relative to learner's needs in areas of family, work and community.
- Model self-advocacy with learners. Advocate for learners and Portsmouth Adult Education Program in the greater community.
- In conjunction with program coordinator, recommend appropriate materials, equipment and supplies for use in the classroom. Assist with maintaining inventories of such materials, equipment and supplies.
- Work with classroom aides and/or volunteers to provide appropriate one-to-one or small group instruction and assistance as determined necessary. Oversee planning, implementation and record keeping of curriculum and activities done by classroom aides and/or volunteers.
- Assist program coordinator with reports as required by funding sources and agencies.
- Attend all scheduled staff meetings and attend relevant staff development activities as is possible.
- Be in attendance and on time for all scheduled classes, or arrange for a substitute teacher with approval of the program coordinator.
- Maintain the professional boundaries with all current, past, and prospective clients, and maintain the confidentiality of clients and staff, in accordance with SNHS policy and procedure.
- Abide by all SNHS Safety policies and procedures.
- Present professional and positive image as a representative of SNHS.
- Be responsible for having adequate knowledge of all SNHS programs and will gather sufficient intake information to make referrals, in coordination with Adult Education Counselor, to other SNHS programs which are beneficial to the client and his/her family.
- Perform other related duties as required.
Southern New Hampshire Services is an Equal Opportunity Employer